Myrtle Emily [Grigg] Deamer

Bryn's view -
[page 1] [page 2] [page 3] [page 4] [page 5] [Funeral] [Life in Vanuatu]
Returning to Sydney, Meg and Bryn rented a home in Hornsby, found jobs, and later moved to Hunter’s Hill to help form the Assembly there. Once again, the beloved Temple at Mona Vale became the centre of Meg’s life, with many hours spent in the basement with Bryn sorting the archives into discernable groups for future finessing. Literally a pile of boxes and broken cartons in the middle of the floor lying as they had been since a hasty removal from the fire at the National Office in 2 Lang Rd. Paddington, N.S.W., many evenings were spend immersed in a sea of papers and artifacts.

One of her stories, that can never be corroborated, was that Peter DeVogel, the then secretary of the National Spiritual Assembly, let Meg know that in particular the National Spiritual Assembly had instructions from the Universal House of Justice to find the deed to a piece of property on the side of Mt. Carmel that Shogi Effendi had registered in the name of the National Spiritual Assembly of Australia and New Zealand. Having put a file of papers high on a shelf, Meg turned back to the heap, the file fell over with a thump, and a piece of paper glided through the air, flipping on the currents, and buried itself in one of the many files lying haphazardly in the heap. Reaching for it, and the file that it had buried itself in, Meg noticed that sheet of paper was the minutes of a committee meeting written by a wonderful Bahá'í friend who had been good to her, and had recently passed away. Opening the file that it had landed in, she extracted a faded manila envelope and opening it, found the long sought for deed to the land in Haifa. She used to tell of how she turned her face to the heavens and said “Thank-you” to the friend who had written the minutes and whom she felt was with her then.

By 1977 Tony’s business had proven to be viable. Meg having taken early retirement, and Bryn, having saved up some finance, returned once again to New Hebrides to join Tony. By then son Robin had been joined by brothers Shay and Louis, and was soon joined by sister Zina. The family fortunes ebbed and waned taking many twists and turns as the New Hebrides staggered through Independance. Bryn was invited in 1983 to Haifa to serve at the World Centre, where he stayed until 2002. In mid 1985, with Tony and Elizebeth’s marriage ended, Meg returned to Perth taking her granddaughter Zina with her for schooling. Soon, she was joined by grandson Louis, and started raising a second family.

In 1986, grandson Shay still in Port Vila, was hit by a mini-bus while riding his bike, and, flown to Sydney for specialist treatment, died, and was buried in the Mona Vale cemetery just below the Mother Temple of the Antipides. At some point Robin joined a family in Newcastle, N.S.W. so he could attend high school. Meg uprooted herself once again, took Zina and Louie to Newcastle, and, buying a house in the suburb of Barnsely, and took in Robin, by now a young teenager, thus re-uniting the three remaining siblings.

This part of her story could only be told by her second family of grandchildren.

<< BACK ...........IMAGES OF THE FUNERAL........ NEXT PAGE>>

Meg and Bryn on the porch of her home in Hornsby on the day they left to return to Perth,
Bryn on the ladder to the top of a large rock - On the trip accross Australia Meg stopped at many wonderful places - always a great site-seer. In her latter years in Port Vila she often seemed most happy and content when in a car going - somewhere - anywhere.